Wednesday, June 4

Web Item [ West Ham United ] -Dean Ashton

Ashton signs for five years - WHUFC
Dean Ashton has committed his future to West Ham United and revealed he
cannot wait for next season
04.06.2008

West Ham United are happy to confirm that Dean Ashton has signed a new
contract with the club that will keep him at the Boleyn Ground until June
2013.

The England striker put pen to paper on the new deal on Wednesday evening,
bringing to an end the negotiations that had begun as soon as the curtain
fell on the 2007/08 season. Speaking exclusively to whufc.com, Ashton said:
"I am delighted. I said all along that I wanted to sign. I feel I have still
got a lot to show the football club and the fans. I am really happy that I
have signed and now I can look forward to next season."

Having just made his international breakthrough last Sunday away to Trinidad
and Tobago and scored five goals in his last eight appearances for the club,
Ashton was particularly pleased the deal was struck so swiftly in the
close-season. "It is a fantastic way to end the season for me. It is not
going to be on my mind and now with a five-year contract, the future is
here. I said I wanted to stay at the end of the season and I am really glad
it has been done so professionally and sorted now."

West Ham United Chief Executive Scott Duxbury said: "I am delighted that we
have agreed this new contract with Dean. It underlines the ambition of the
club to progress and challenge at the top end of the Premier League. Dean is
an important part of our plans for the new season and beyond. We are looking
forward to seeing him scoring plenty of goals for West Ham United in the
future."

Ashton has been at the Boleyn Ground since signing from Norwich City in
January 2006 and played a key role in the run to that season's FA Cup final,
when he scored at the Millennium Stadium. However, an ankle injury the
following August cost him the entire 2006/07 campaign. Upon regaining form
and fitness, Ashton established himself back in the side - ultimately
scoring ten Premier League goals in 20 starts and eleven substitute
appearances. The 24-year-old is determined to do even better next time
around.


"I didn't play as many games as I wish I could and obviously I missed the
season before," said the forward, who had two years left to run on his
previous deal at the Boleyn Ground. "I am really excited about next season.
I feel I can only get better so I am really glad that I have signed and can
look forward to the future. I think after the injury I had as well, it is
nice the club have managed to agree with me on a new deal. We are really
looking to the future.

"At the start of the season the fans didn't see the best of me. Towards the
end, they hopefully saw that I was back to what they expect. I know I had a
few fans who were perhaps weren't sure that I would get back to my best but
I feel like I am only going to get better. Hopefully I can again play even
better next season, score more goals and play more games."

He added that he also could not wait to see the return to fitness of key men
such as Kieron Dyer and Craig Bellamy, and the increased attacking options
that will bring, although he recognises competition for places will be
fierce. "I am really excited about that. I am sure there are quite a few of
the players at the club that have missed more games than they would have
liked - especially the new signings. Again, it is going to be an exciting
pre-season and we will look to challenge."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

http://vyperz.blogspot.com

No comments: