Tuesday, August 30

Daily WHUFC News - 30th August 2016

Loan round up

Martin Samuelsen unused substitute for Blackburn Rovers in the Championship
Josh Cullen helps Bradford climb into automatic promotion spots
Josh Pask in action as Gillingham record second win of the week

Josh Cullen's Bradford City moved into the League One automatic promotion
spots with a 1-1 draw at home to Oldham Athletic on Saturday. The Bantams
climbed to second after the draw at Valley Parade in which Cullen played the
full 90 minutes in midfield for Stuart McCall's men. Peter Clarke nodded in
after just five minutes to give the visitors a shock lead, but Bradford drew
level 12 minutes into the second period when Billy Clarke converted a
penalty which had been won by Hammers loanee Cullen. The 20-year-old was
dragged to the ground by Ousmane Fane and Clarke stepped up to do the
honours from 12 yards.

Elsewhere in the third tier, Josh Pask was on hand to help Gillingham keep
their place in the play-offs as they beat Shrewsbury Town 3-2 thanks to a
dramatic late equaliser which completed an unlikely turnaround. The Gills
had it all to do after half an hour when Louis Dodds added his second of the
afternoon having given his side the lead on 17 minutes, and the visitors'
cause worsened when Pask was replaced after 39 minutes due to injury. Justin
Edinburgh's men displayed a never-say-die attitude to admire in the second
half though and were level thanks to a Jay Emmanuel-Thomas brace with 17
minutes left on the clock. And, three minutes into injury time with the
points about to be shared, Max Ehmer popped up to steal a late win for
Gillingham at New Meadow. The victory came on the back of Pask and co.'s
against-the-odds EFL Cup win over Watford on Tuesday.

Staying in League One, Lewis Page was in action for Coventry City as they
recorded a 1-1 draw with their former ground hosts Northampton. The
full-back played the whole game for City who equalised through Marcus Tudgay
after Harry Beautyman had given the Cobblers a first half lead. George
Dobson came on as a first half substitute for Walsall as they blew a 3-0
lead to draw with Bury. Thanks to Kieron Morris, Erhun Oztumer and Simeon
Jackson, the Saddlers held a comfortable lead after just half an hour, but
second half strikes from Leon Barnett, James Vaughan and Danny Mayor spelled
catastrophe for Walsall.

Finally, new Blackburn signing Martin Samuelsen – who joined Rovers on a
season-long loan deal from the Hammers this week – was an unused substitute
for Owen Coyle's men as they lost 1-0 at home to Fulham in the Championship.
Tom Cairney broke Blackburn hearts four minutes into stoppage time to win it
for Slavisa Jokanovic's team. Stephen Hendrie was not included in the
Blackburn squad, while Kyle Knoyle is still absent at Wigan Athletic through

Fletcher focuses on encouraging second half

Ashley Fletcher impressed during his full Premier League debut away at
Manchester City yesterday
The 20-year-old said making his debut was "something I've dreamt about since
I was a boy"
Despite the defeat, Fletcher said his side can take heart from their second
half performance

Reflecting on an impressive full Premier League debut, 20-year-old striker
Ashley Fletcher said he and his teammates can take heart from their second
half performance away at Manchester City. While the Hammers' efforts
ultimately proved fruitless as they slipped to a 3-1 defeat following a
dominant performance from Pep Guardiola's men, Fletcher's encouraging
display was a positive for Slaven Bilic to take into the international
break. After leading the line manfully, the youngster said of his debut:
"Making my full Premier League debut is something I've dreamt about since I
was a boy, it was extra special for it to be here as I'm a local lad.
"Obviously the result was disappointing, but our second half performance was
encouraging. I think we did deserve a bit more in the end. The first 20
minutes weren't great but we slowly got back into the game, but then
unfortunately, they scored again right at the end."

After a slow start which saw City score twice in the opening 18 minutes, the
Hammers rallied after the break. Michail Antonio, pushed further forward,
scored his second headed goal of the campaign to give the Hammers a
lifeline, while Manuel Lanzini made a welcome return to action off the
bench. Fletcher continued: "The manager said at half time we needed to score
the next goal in order to get ourselves into it and that's what we did. We
got a lot of confidence from that and tried to push for an equaliser. "We
know that we let ourselves down in midweek and then we knew it would
difficult coming here to play City, a fantastic, inform team. But saying
that, I think the second half showed we have that spirit, we just couldn't
get the equaliser at 2-1."

Hammers ready for first Checkatrade Trophy tie

West Ham United PL2 face Coventry City in their first Checkatrade Trophy
fixture on Tuesday
The young Hammers have won two of their three fixtures so far this season
Midfielder Moses Makasi is unsure what to expect of the tie against the
League One opponents

West Ham United PL2's first ever Checkatrade Trophy contest will be a
difficult tie, according to midfielder Moses Makasi.

The young Hammers face Coventry City at the Ricoh Arena on Tuesday in the
newly formatted competition, which this season includes 16 Premier League 2
U23 sides.

West Ham have been joined by the likes of Chelsea, Everton, Leicester City
and Southampton in entering one of their young outfits, and the Hammers have
been drawn in a group with Wycombe Wanderers and Northampton, as well as the
Sky Blues.

And Makasi admitted he does not know what to expect of U23 sides in the
tournament this season.

"It's hard to know how we or other sides will do against senior teams," he
said. "Tuesday will be a difficult game, because they will feel that they're
bigger and more physical than us and will feel like they have advantages at
things like set pieces.

"But hopefully our technical ability comes out on top. We just want to go
into the game with confidence.

"We're very excited, because playing against a first team, a senior team, is
something different for us as a squad. It's a chance to challenge ourselves
against a very different opposition.

"In a cup competition, you have so few chances to impress and do well and
you don't want to lose, so I'm sure both sides will be entering the match
with high hopes."

West Ham began their Premier League 2 campaign with two wins but were beaten
away at Swansea City on Friday.

The game, played at the Welsh side's Liberty Stadium, was a great experience
for Makasi and his teammates though, stated the 20-year-old.

"Both teams went into the game wanting to win the match and we hoped that we
could get the three points," he continued. "Obviously we lost the match, but
we played well so we want to take the positives from that now looking
forward to the game against Coventry.

"It was good playing in the middle with Alfie Lewis and we dominated
possession in the match, particularly in the first half. Alfie is only 16 so
for him, it was a great experience playing in the game.

"I'm here to help him out and he knows that, so we want to dominate the ball
in up and coming matches like we did against Swansea City.

"It's also a great experience to play at big stadiums like the Ricoh and
like Swansea's Liberty Stadium. We don't get that opportunity too often, so
obviously it's good for us. It's a night game on Tuesday and all eyes will
be on the game."


The Summer Transfer window closes at 11.30pm on Wednesday night and
following on from that the club need to name their official squad list for
the Premier League until January 2016.

The squad list has to contain 8 Home Grown players and no more than 17 (over
21) foreign players. West Ham currently have 18 (over 21) foreign players
on their books (depending on Nordtveit's Home Grown status) so one of them
will either have to leave the club or be left out of Bilic's 25 man squad
list and thus will not be eligible to play in Premier League games between
now and January 2017 when changes can be made once again.

There's also the fact that the club have been linked with further moves for
players such as Mathieu Debuchy and Wilfried Bony. If either or both of
those players were to come in another 1-2 foreign players would have to

The Current Senior Squad

Adrian – 29 – Spain
Randolph – 29 – Home Grown
Spiegel – 23 – Switzerland


Reid – 28 – New Zealand
Ogbonna – 28 – Italy
Collins – 33 – Home Grown
Henry – 23 – Canada
Cresswell – 26 – Home Grown
Byram – 22 – Home Grown
Masuaku – 22 – France
Oxford – 17 – Home Grown (either Reece or Ashley would have to be named in
the squad to make up the Home Grown numbers even though U21 players do not
need to be named)
Burke – 19 – Home Grown (Likely to leave on loan, wouldn't need to be named
in the squad even if he stayed anyway)


Kouyate – 26 – Senegal
Nordtveit – 26 – Norway (Could have Home Grown status as was with Arsenal
from age 17 – 21 but only spent 18 months with the club, rest of the time on
loan in Spain, Norway and Germany)
Obiang – 24 – Spain
Noble – 29 – Home Grown
Lanzini – 23 – Argentina
Payet – 29 – France
Ayew – 26 – Ghana
Feghouli – 26 – Algeria
Tore – 24 – Turkey ( Misses out on Home Grown status by 6 months as his
period at Chelsea was for 2 1/2 years between ages 17-20)
Antonio – 26 – Home Grown
Fernandes – 20 – Switzerland (Does not need to be named in the 25 man squad
as he is U21)


Zaza – 25 – Italy
Sakho – 26 – Senegal
Carroll – 27 – Home Grown
Valencia – 26 – Ecuador
Calleri – 22 – Argentina
Fletcher – 20 – Home Grown (either Reece or Ashley would have to be named in
the squad to make up the Home Grown numbers even though U21 players do not
need to be named, a loan away could also be a possibility if another striker

So between now and Wednesday a couple of the club's foreign players could be
on the move depending on any further incoming players. The most likely to
leave would be Valencia (linked with Villa and Norwich), Obiang (linked with
3-4 Serie A clubs) and Henry (doesn't seem to have a future at the club with
so many CB's in front of him). In all likelyhood Diafra Sakho still wouldn't
pass a medical at this point as Bilic claimed recently that he was still
doing gym work and not training with the rest of the squad so it seems more
likely that he will be here until January for now.

Antonio signs in - with West Ham carrier bags
Filed: Monday, 29th August 2016
By: Staff Writer

Michail Antonio has arrived at St George's Park for his first session as an
England player - accompanied by a pair of West Ham carrier bags.

The flying winger was the surprise selection in Sam Allardyce's first
England selection since succeeding Roy Hodgson, keeping out regular faces
such as Everton stalwart Ross Barkley and Arsenal's Jack Wilshire.

And Antonio, who received the good news yesterday ensured that club colours
were clearly on show when he arrived at England's training complex this
afternoon - as you can see in our video below.

Sam Allardyce likened the winger's journey from non-league to the Premier
League to that of Leicester's Jamie Vardy, when questioned about his
inclusion by the media this afternoon at a press conference.

"I think that the quality of the player has shone through in every league
he's played in," said Allardyce. "The impact he had last year and at the
start of this year with his attacking flair, his quality for final-third
delivery and his goal record from a wide position.

"That journey is something that deserves to be in this squad and for me to
have a look at as a potential player going forward. It's a bit similar to
Jamie Vardy's.

"It shows how much it means if you've got guts, determination and desire
when you start and then go forward and create a career that ends up in the
Premier League and in this squad.

"I'm looking forward to meeting him and everybody for the first time."

Chelsea chasing Ogbonna
Filed: Monday, 29th August 2016
By: Staff Writer

Chelsea are interested in signing West Ham United's Angelo Ogbonna ahead of
Wednesday's transfer deadline. The West London side, now managed by former
Italy head coach Antonio Conte have made contact with West Ham but have thus
far been put off by United's £20million price tage for the former Juve star,
KUMB has learned. Speaking earlier this year, prior to his move to the
Premier League, Ogbonna described the new Chelsea boss as "the best manager
he's worked with".
"Everyone knows his CV and what he has achieved," said Ogbonna, speaking
back in March "He has a really hot temper, but is also funny. He's brave. He
can pass on his strong character to the players and gives them confidence.
"He's the best manager I've worked with and he will do a good job in the
Premier League."
The 28-year-old central defender joined West Ham last summer in an £8million
switch from Juventus and has gone on to become a regular choice in Slaven
Bilic's first XI.

Pulis still tempted by Irons duo
Filed: Monday, 29th August 2016
By: Staff Writer

West Bromwich Albion boss Tony Pulis may make a last-gasp attempt to
re-ignite Diafra Sakho's transfer to The Hawthorns.

The Albion boss admitted that he hadn't entirely given up on the prospect of
signing the Senegal striker - whilst he is also keeping an eye on the
situation regarding Sakho's former striker partner Enner Valencia.

Pulis, who admitted at the weekend that he was still seeking "four or five
players" ahead of Wednesday night's transfer deadline was asked about the
prospect of signing Sakho despite the move having apparently fallen though
last month.

"We'll have to wait and see," he replied, when asked about the former Metz
star, whose £16million move to Albion broke down after a medical was said to
highlight a back problem.

Sakho, who cost West Ham just £4million two years ago has failed to feature
for the Hammers since a much-publicised fallout weith Slaven Bilic and the

West Ham midfielder Michail Antonio is delighted by England call-up
Last Updated: 29/08/16 9:29am

West Ham midfielder Michail Antonio says he is stunned by his call-up to the
England squad for the World Cup qualifier against Slovakia. The 26-year-old
has been selected in manager Sam Allardyce's first squad as England begin
their campaign in Bratislava on Sunday. Antonio began his career at Tooting
and Mitcham and turned down the opportunity to play for Jamaica earlier in
the year in the hope of realising his ambition of playing for England. The
Londoner, who was on target for the Hammers in the 3-1 defeat at Manchester
City, is the only new call-up in the England party. "I'm overwhelmed. I got
slightly emotional when I found out," Antonio said. "It's just one of those
things that I've always dreamt of, playing for England, as a kid, so now for
it to happen after I've worked my way from non-league to where I am now, I
am just so happy. "I turned down an approach from Jamaica in March and for
this to happen so quickly, I'm buzzing, I just want to keep my feet on the
floor. "All I can do is go out there on the international stage and show
there is a reason why the gaffer has called me up. "I didn't think that it
would happen this quick, but I always said to myself that if I could get
into the Premier League and keep playing the way I do, hopefully I could get
into the England squad."

South Africans hail Andre Ayew over patriotic Black Stars air ticket gesture
Published on: 29 August 2016

Many South Africans have lauded the move by Ghana' s deputy captain Andre
Ayew for paying for the tickets for some of the Black Stars players to
honour the final AFCON group clash with Rwanda. Head coach Avram Grant
announced a 23-man squad for the final game of the group with the Amavubi
which comes off five days from today. The country's Sports Minister Nii
Lante Vanderpuye in his attempt to force the technical handlers of the Black
Stars to use locally-based players for the game since Ghana has already
qualified says his outfit has no money to cater for the tickets of the
foreign-based players. But the West Ham United record signing paid for the
rest of the players who could not foot the bill for their air tickets to
join the team to prepare for the game. And South Africans have hailed the
26-year old for his move.

Sergio Aguero to face elbow verdict on Tuesday and could miss Manchester
derby through injury
Luke Edwards
29 AUGUST 2016 • 8:36PM
The telegraph

Manchester City are hopeful Sergio Aguero will escape punishment for
elbowing West Ham defender Winston Reid, but the striker could still miss
the Manchester derby after pulling out of Argentina's upcoming World Cup
qualifiers with a calf injury. The 28 year-old is in danger of facing
disciplinary action after appearing to catch Reid while the two of them
competed for a ball in the latter stages of City's 3-1 victory on Sunday.
But television replays appeared to show referee Andre Marriner was looking
at the incident. If the official saw the clash and did not feel as though
Aguero deserved a red card, the Football Association are powerless to act,
even though Reid was forced off with a throat injury after he was hit by
Aguero's elbow. Although an announcement from the FA would have normally
come on Monday, the Bank Holiday weekend has delayed things and City will
have to wait another 24 hours to learn Aguero's fate. Should Aguero escape a
suspension it will be a big let off for the Argentinean, although he could
still miss the mouth-watering Manchester derby with United on September 10th
due to his calf injury.
The problem is severe enough for Aguero to pull out of international duty
and he will miss Argentina's World Cup qualifiers against Uruguay and
Venezuela, and City manager Pep Guardiola will be concerned about his star
striker. Aguero has been plagued by calf and hamstring problems during his
time in England and City will not want to lose their top goalscorer ahead of
the United game. The two rivals will meet for the first time since Guardiola
became City manager and Jose Mourinho arrived at Manchester United in a
lunch time kick-off at Old Trafford, having both won their first three
Premier League fixtures at their new clubs.



No comments: