Friday, May 23

Web Digest [ West Ham United ] - 23rd May 2008

Sears expects with England - WHUFC
Freddie Sears is looking over the next week to fire the U19s to the European
Championship finals in July
16.05.2008

Freddie Sears has been training hard in preparation for the final qualifying
round of the European Under-19 Championship as he looks to fire the goals
that will take England to July's finals.

The 18-year-old academy graduate is one of two West Ham United players in
Brian Eastick's squad for the Elite round min-tournament in Belarus, with
James Tomkins an established figure at the heart of the defence. In contrast
to his more experienced 19-year-old club-mate, Sears has only made two
substitute appearances for his country but has impressed in both and has
been identified as a major talent by manager Brian Eastick.

The homegrown striker said: "I am really proud to play for my country and it
is great to be involved. It will finish off a great season for me. We are
going to Belarus with the aim of getting to the European Championships in
July." To do that, the Young Lions need to overcome the hosts, Serbia and
Poland to be one of eight nations competing in the final round in the Czech
Republic. England will play Poland first in Borisov on Monday, before
meeting Serbia two days later in the same venue. The qualifying campaign
will end against Belarus in Minsk on Saturday 31 May.

Sears also thinks the U19s can help bring much needed cheer to the country
this summer after the senior side missed out on a place at Euro 2008 in
Switzerland and Austria. "We didn't make it to the Euro so the fans should
get behind the U19s," he added. "Mme and Tomka are going to be doing our
best to get to the finals. Let's get the fans behind the U19s and help us
out. We will do our best to represent the club."

The final tournament will take place between 14 and 26 July, and should
England get there then fellow West Ham United players Jordan Spence, still
only 17, and Junior Stanislas will also fancy their chances of earning a
place in the final squad. Both have also figured for the U19s this season
and will only have just missed out on this qualifying round.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Lanzafame: talks beckon - KUMB
Filed: Thursday, 22nd May 2008
By: Staff Writer

Davide Lanzafame has revealed he is set for talks with Juventus later this
week regarding his immediate future. The Italian striker had been poised for
a move to West Ham but a potential spanner was thrown in the works earlier
this week when Palermo revealed that they too were interested in signing the
under-21 star. The Sicilian's interest came into play when it was revealed
that they were chasing Lanzafame in part exchange for Brazilian striker
Amauri, who is on his way to Juve. Now Lanzafame, who has previously
expressed a preference to move to England, is set to discuss his future with
Juve before making a firm decision. "I think both Palermo and West Ham could
be for me two positive experiences", he told Sky Italia. "They are two
important places, but the decision hasn't been taken yet. "In the next few
days I'll talk with Juventus and we will decide together the best solution -
because one day I want to come back to Bianconeri."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Busy week for ex-Hammers - KUMB
Filed: Thursday, 22nd May 2008
By: Staff Writer

Although West Ham United's season officially ended just over a week ago
there have been plenty of ex-Irons in actions since. Harry Redknapp, David
James and Glen Johnson were all on the winning side at the weekend as
Portsmouth beat Cardiff - featuring Trevor Sinclair - 1-0 in the FA Cup
Final.
The game was watched by another former Hammer in Jermain Defoe, who was
unable to play due to being cup-tied. Meanwhile last night's Champions
League final was graced by no less than six former Hammers - three from each
team - whilst the trophy was collected by Rio Ferdinand who, along with team
mates Carlos Tevez and Michael Carrick saw off the challenge of Chelsea
(featuring Frank Lampard, Joe Cole and John Terry) after a dramatic penalty
shootout. The season officially ends this weekend with what is often
referred to as football's most lucrative domestic fixture, the Championship
play-off final. Richard Garcia, who started his career with United is set to
feature for Hull, whilst David Noble - who enjoyed a brief spell at Upton
Park under Glenn Roeder - is likely to start for Bristol City. Also in
contention to play this weekend is former French winger Seb Carole who spent
three months on loan with the Hammers between February and May 2004. He now
plays for Leeds who face Doncaster in this weekend's League One play-off
final.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Lanzafame - Hammers an option - SSN
Italian considering West Ham and Palermo
By Nadia Carminati Last updated: 22nd May 2008

Italian starlet Davide Lanzafame has revealed that he could still join West
Ham. The Juventus striker was lined up for a loan move to Upton Park next
season after he completed a successful campaign at Serie B side Bari.
However, Palermo have now requested that Lanzafame is included as part of
the deal which will take Amauri to Turin. Now the player is waiting on Juve
to decide on his fate - but the player admits West Ham or Palermo would be
good moves for him. "I think both Palermo and West Ham could be for me two
positive experiences", Lanzafame told Sky Italia. "They are two important
places, but the decision hasn't been taken yet. "In the next few days I'll
talk with Juventus and we will decide together the best solution, also
because one day I want to come back to Bianconeri."
Italian Under 21 international Lanzafame is rated as one of the best young
striking prospects in Serie A and it looked like new Hammers sporting
director Gianluca Nani had achieved somewhat of a coup by securing a deal.
But it now remains to be seen whether he will spend next season in South
London or Sicily.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Curbs to Shore up defence? - KUMB
Filed: Thursday, 22nd May 2008
By: Staff Writer

West Ham are keeping tabs on Reading full back Nicky Shorey after the player
was told he could leave, according to today's Sun. Alan Curbishley - who was
linked with the Romford-born defender both last summer and earlier this year
- is said to be ready to take a punt on Shorey after he was made available
for transfer following Reading's relegation from the Premier League last
weekend. With only George McCartney as a recognised left-back in his squad
Curbishley, say The Sun, is ready to prepare a bid to capture Shorey who
made his international debut for England last season. Rated at £5 million
last summer, the 27-year-old is likely to be available for around half that
following Reading's return to the Championship. Elsewhere United have been
linked with a move for AFG AArhus' Danish under-21 defender Michael Lumb.
The 20-year-old left-back was named 'Shooting Star' of the 07/08 season by
Danish newspaper Ekstra Bladet, and has been linked with a string top clubs
- including Ajax and Hamburg - in recent weeks.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Curb's clearing out trash at West Ham; Could Liverpool manager find
treasure? - caughtoffside.com
May 22, 2008

You know what they always say: one man's trash is another man's treasure.
Apparently Alan Curbishley has decided that some of the current regime at
West Ham have to go this summer, and he's hoping to pawn off overrated
striker Dean Ashton and defender Anton Ferdinand to interested parties.
The Daily Mirror is reporting that Curbishley will use the funds he gets
from selling both players to make a bid for Everton striker Andrew Johnson
and Newcastle defender Steven Taylor. "Striker Ashton has been offered a new
deal but, if he stalls, Hammers will put him up for sale. Centre-half
Ferdinand is available for about £3million." (Daily Mirror) Even though
Ferdinand failed miserably on almost every occasion this year, there is
still a certain goateed manager that believes he isn't totally worthless.
Enter Liverpool manager, Rafael Benitez. Rumors are swirling that Benitez
is interested in the defender, and could be keen on bringing him in next
season for the right price.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
West Ham set to sign £6m star: Fantastic player who could be a Hammers
legend - caughtoffside.com
May 22, 2008

For a long while now Alan Curbishley has been monitoring Reading full back
Nicky Shorey and by all accounts the deal to capture the England
international has almost been done. West Ham United will sign Reading
fullback Nicky Shorey. he £6million-rated left-back will leave relegated
Reading in the summer. (The Sun)

Shorey is a class act who will surely prove himself at Upton Park, he may be
just the kind of addition that takes the east London side from mid table to
a European spot. Equally impressive going forward as he is at the back, the
former O's man is apparently just one of a great many signings Curbs would
like to bring in over the summer. What do Hammers fans feel about this
potential signing? Is it a case of better late than never, or are there
better players the boss could have brought in?

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Hammers still in hunt for Italian Lanzafame - Echo News
By Rob Pritchard

WEST Ham target David Lanzafame has admitted he would relish the opportunity
to play outside his native Italy. The Irons are interested in bringing the
Juventus forward, who scored 10 goals while on loan at Serie B challengers
Palermo last season, to Upton Park on a one-year loan deal. However, the
move could be scuppered after Juventus proposed sending the Italy Under-21
international to Serie A rivals Palermo as part of their bid to sign
Brazilian strike Amauri. But Lanzafame has encouraged the Hammers by stating
that he would like to play abroad. "Palermo and West Ham are both huge
clubs," he said. "But at my age I think it would be beneficial to have an
experience abroad, which would enhance me not only as a footballer, but also
from a linguistic and lifestyle point of view."
Lanzafame, who is currently preparing to represent Italy at the Beijing
Olympic Games, admitted he would like to return to Juventus one day. "In the
next few days I'll talk with Juventus and we will decide together the best
solution, also because one day I want to come back to Bianconeri," he added.

Meanwhile, former Hammer Richard Garcia, 26, is getting ready to play in the
biggest game of his career as his Hull City side take on Bristol City in the
Championship Play-Off final at Wembley. Australian Garcia, who won the FA
Youth Cup alongside Joe Cole and Michael Carrick in 1999, is desperate to
secure a victory that would see him return to Upton Park with the Tigers
next season. "I am looking forward to it and it would be fantastic to come
and play at West Ham again," the midfielder, who made 21 appearances in five
years at the Boleyn Ground, told www.whufc.com "I only have good memories of
my time there. Sure it was disappointing not to have gone further there, but
I was certainly given the best start to my career in England. "I spent my
growing-up years at West Ham, a very important time in anyone's life, and I
won't ever forget it." Garcia will line-up against another former Iron,
David Noble, who should start in midfield for the Robins.

WEST Ham and Australia captain Lucas Neill will miss the Socceroos' friendly
against Ghana in Sydney tonight. The 30-year-old has remained in England to
look after pregnant partner Lyndsay, who is expecting twins in June. Neill
will also miss Australia's two vital World Cup 2010 qualifiers against Iraq
in Brisbane on June 2 and in Qatar on June 7. Ghana will field Irons
full-back John Pantsil in tonight's clash.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
No Way I'm Missing Euro, Insists Ljungberg - goal.com

West ham and Sweden midfielder Freddie Ljungberg has moved to calm concerns
that he may have to sit out Euro 2008 due to injury. Ljungberg cracked a rib
against Newcastle in the closing stages of the Premier League season and the
Swede was initially feared to be ruled out of his nation's Group D campaign.
However, the 31-year-old insisted that the injury is no longer as bad as is
made out and that he is more than prepared to play through the pain barrier.
"I might get a special protection for the rib and that is good," he said.
"It will protect me in case I get an elbow on the ribs."
National team boss Lar Lagerback obviously has confident over Ljungerg as he
has selected the ex Arsenal star in his Euro 2008 Sweden squad. Sweden face
Spain, Russia and Greece in the group stages and the selection of Ljungberg
provides a major boost for the squad's hopes of negotiating a path into the
quarter finals.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Hammers tipped to win race for Reading full back - Guardian Series

ALAN Curbishley has been given the green light to make a bid for Reading's
Nicky Shorey. The West Ham boss has been unsuccessful in bringing the
Barking-born full back to Upton Park in the past. But Reading chief
executive Nigel Howe admits that the Royals are open to offers for several
players - including 27-year-old Shorey - following the club's relegation
from the Premier League. "Nicky Shorey and a few others will be looked at as
potential people to leave," Howe told the Reading Evening Post. "Nicky has
made it clear for a long time that he hasn't been too happy at the club.
"Well, let's hope that somebody comes in with a good offer." Shorey, who
would cost around £4 million, is keen to remain in the top flight and has
also attracted the attention of Aston Villa and Newcastle.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

http://vyperz.blogspot.com