Monday, February 1

Daily WHUFC News - iV 1st February 2010

Striking options excite Zola
WHUFC.com
Gianfranco Zola cannot wait to see Benni McCarthy playing in a West Ham
United shirt
01.02.2010

Gianfranco Zola believes Benni McCarthy is the perfect man to score the
goals to send West Ham United soaring up the Barclays Premier League table.
The South African has been a prolific marksman wherever he has been, scoring
nearly 150 goals for Ajax, Celta Vigo, FC Porto and Blackburn Rovers. The
Cape Town-born striker is also the leading scorer in his country's history
with 32 goals in 77 internationals. While his record speaks for itself,
Hammers manager Zola was happy to discuss the 32-year-old's undoubted
qualities. "He will be a threat in the last third," the manager predicted.
"He is a type of player that will score goals. He will be a big help for us.
"I think he's got quality, which is what I'm looking for. He has got quality
in the last 20 metres. He's got goals in his bag and that's what I need
right now, and that's what I'm going to be asking him to produce for us.
"He'll be around the box. Obviously a player like him, you have to keep him
around the box, because he can be more effective like that."
The manager also believes McCarthy will work well with Carlton Cole and the
club's other strikers, including Mexico forward Guille Franco and young pair
Frank Nouble and Freddie Sears. Fitness permitting, Zola revealed that the
McCarthy/Cole partnership could be unleashed on Burnley at Turf Moor this
Saturday afternoon. "I think it will be a good partnership because Cole is
strong and skilful and McCarthy is also smart and skilful, so I think they
will find a good combination. Hopefully this week we're going to work on the
fitness and on Saturday they're going to be good. "I think it will be a big
help for Carlton, because it's going to give him the opportunity to be more
relaxed and also the opposition will not only have to look after one player,
they have to look after two players and that is a big thing. I think if they
work together and help each other they can really be a big asset for us. "We
are a very young team. We have a lot of young players in our squad so I
think it's not wrong that we bring in somebody with the experience, football
knowledge and also goals. So I think it's a good choice."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Mido signs in
KUMB.com
Filed: Monday, 1st February 2010
By: Staff Writer

Egyptian striker Mido has completed a move to West Ham United. The striker
was confirmed as West Ham's second capture of the day following the arrival
of Benni McCarthy earlier. Mido, 26, confirmed the news upon leaving the
Boleyn Ground moments ago; he told reporters: "I had to sacrifice some
things but I'm here to play football again and I'm here to prove a point.
"I'm very happy to be here, it's a great club - and I'm sure I'll do well
here." Mido has signed a short-term deal with the Hammers. He joins on loan
from Championship side Middlesbrough after his season-long loan spell with
El Zamalek was terminated by mutual agreement.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Birmingham tickets on sale
WHUFC.com
The popular 'Kids for a quid' scheme is back for the visit of Birmingham
City next week
01.02.2010

West Ham United are offering under-16s the chance to see Benni McCarthy's
first home match at the Boleyn Ground for just £1 on Wednesday 10 February.
The popular 'Kids for a Quid' scheme is in place for the visit of Birmingham
City, with the Hammers set to feature new signing McCarthy along with the
likes of England stars Robert Green, Matthew Upson, Scott Parker and Carlton
Cole. Demand is expected to be high so supporters should move quickly to
book their seats. As well as the special under-16 prices, tickets for
over-65s and young adult members start from £17.50. New chairmen David
Sullivan and David Gold saw their reign get off to a solid start in the
club's last outing at home, a goalless draw against Blackburn Rovers, and
will be hoping to add another three points against Birmingham - the club
they used to own until last October.

Anyone interested should call 0871 222 2700 via Option 1, go along to the
West Stand ticket office in person or click here.
http://www.whufcboxoffice.com/

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Benni McCarthy seals move to West Ham from Blackburn
BBC.co.uk

West Ham have completed the signing of striker Benni McCarthy from Blackburn
Rovers for an undisclosed fee. A deal for McCarthy was agreed last week but
the move was reported to have been held up by work permit issues. However,
the 32-year-old South Africa international has now signed a contract until
2012 and he said: "I am very pleased and extremely happy. "I am looking
forward to making up for lost time and I can't wait to make my debut. All I
want is to score goals." McCarthy also revealed he came close to joining
West Ham from Portuguese club Porto five years ago and added: "The reason
why I am happy that it has finally happened is because about five years ago
I had a disappointing experience when I thought I was going to be a West Ham
player until Porto pulled out and I had to go back. "I would have loved this
to be my first Premier League club. I went to Blackburn instead but West Ham
kept on pursuing me and eventually I am here."
Hammers manager Gianfranco Zola, speaking after Saturday's draw with
Blackburn, stated: "I do not know the terms yet but they have told me the
deal is done. "He should be available for the next game [at Burnley on
Saturday]." The news will come as a relief to the Italian after Tottenham
persuaded Monaco striker Eidur Gudjohnsen to reject the Hammers in favour of
a move to White Hart Lane. "Benni will be a threat in the last third. He is
a player who can score goals and he will be a very good help for us," added
Zola. McCarthy, who is expected to cost about £2.5m, will be new West Ham
owners David Sullivan and David Gold's first signing since their takeover of
the debt-ridden club earlier this month. Sullivan has revealed the club are
£110m in the red. However, the former Birmingham co-owner has said
bolstering Zola's squad is a priority, despite the club's financial
problems. "We are particularly short of strikers and they are the hardest
and most difficult position to fill. That's the short-term objective,"
commented Sullivan.
McCarthy, who will wear the number 17 shirt, joined Blackburn from Porto in
the summer of 2006 and has scored 52 times for the club but is eager to
boost his chances of playing for South Africa when the nation hosts the
World Cup this summer. Rumours of his exit from Ewood Park have been rife
for months, with McCarthy, who has started only nine games this season,
voicing his frustration about a lack of first-team opportunities. Rovers
boss Sam Allardyce labelled 32-year-old McCarthy "selfish" for missing
training in an apparent effort to force through the move. Allardyce said:
"The only loyalty a player has got is to himself. That's not just Benni,
that's all players today. "It's more about a selfish attitude that they
have. If something comes their way that they think they must have, they try
their very best to go and get it."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Mido, Ilan - or both?
KUMB.com
Filed: Monday, 1st February 2010
By: Staff Writer

West Ham are currently holding talks with both Ilan and Mido as the 5pm
transfer deadline looms. The 29-year-old former St Etienne striker met
Gianfranco Zola and staff at Chadwell Heath earlier this morning ahead of a
proposed short-term deal. Shortly afterwards Egyptian forward Mido arrived
at the Boleyn Ground before commencing talks himself. Both strikers are
available on free transfers after Ilan agreed to terminate his contract with
the French club four months early. Mido, who joined El Zamalek - the club
with whom he started his professional career back in 1999 as a 16-year-old -
on loan from Middlesbrough back in August has been allowed to return to
England halfway through his season-long loan deal. Joint Chairman David
Sullivan told yesterday how the former Ajax and Roma striker was willing to
join the Hammers in return for just £1,000-a-week in order to prove his
worth. Although Ilan and Mido are currently the only two players undergoing
discussions at the club it is understood that further arrivals have not been
ruled out.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Benni: why I walked out
KUMB.com
Filed: Monday, 1st February 2010
By: Staff Writer

New signing Benni McCarthy had revealed what led him to go on striker at
Blackburn a week before he moved to West Ham. McCarthy refused to return to
training at Blackburn last week in protest at the club's decision to drag
their heels over a £2.5million offer from the Hammers - something which he
admits he couldn't understand as he had already been informed that he was
surplus to requirements by manager Sam Allardyce. "Since the manager took
over we never had a disagreement or fall-out," McCarthy told Sky Sports this
lunchtime. "I've always been respectful to him and he's always been up front
with me. "He's said that I wasn't in his plans, that I wasn't the kind of
player that he was looking for at that point in time with the system that he
plays. I accepted that and it was clear that it was time for me to move on.
"But then when it came to moving on and letting me go they started making
life a little difficult. The matters that I took were probably not the
right, correct way of doing things - but I just felt that I wasn't going to
get anything if I stayed there. "If the transfer window closes and I stay at
Blackburn, they weren't going to have a happy player in that situation. I
could have never been happy with playing well in one game and then being
left out [the next]. "I thought I'd served my time at Blackburn and it was
time to move on. Unfortunately I left in the manner that I never really had
a chance to say 'thank you' to the fans - but now I've got to concentrate on
West Ham and their fans."
McCarthy also revealed that he had been impressed with manager GIanfranco
Zola's comments following their initial meetings. "He's been great," said
the South African. "He's just put my mind at ease about the kind of
football, the way he's looking to play and what I can expect from the team.
It's all been perfect and I can't really complain because the team plays the
kind of football that I want to play - the kind of football that I wasn't
allowed to play when I was at Blackburn. "It's a great relief and I'm really
pleased that it's finally gone through. I'm just looking forward to starting
my first game with the team and trying to work my way to winning a place in
the starting line-up. "It's been a little bit of a headache with the visa
and work permit but I'm finally going to get the chance now to go to a team
where if it all goes well, I'll get the chance to play a role in their
revival and in better things to come. "All the stress and all the headaches
are over now so hopefully I can get in the team, start training and getting
to know my new team mates - and get the team out of the difficult situation
that we're in at the moment."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Hammers complete McCarthy deal, Ilan move close
By Soccernet staff
ESPN
February 1, 2010

West Ham United have completed the signing of Benni McCarthy from Blackburn
Rovers for an undisclosed fee. The South Africa international had fallen out
of favour at Ewood Park and made no secret of his desire to move on, going
as far as to miss two training sessions last week. The 32-year-old has
signed a contract with the Hammers to run until 2012. He moved to Blackburn
in 2006 and enjoyed a fine first season, bagging 18 goals in 36 Premier
League starts. He made double figures again last season but this term has
started only seven games and managed just one goal. The former FC Porto and
Celta Vigo striker will aim to rediscover his scoring touch ahead of this
summer's World Cup in his homeland. West Ham, meanwhile, should complete a
deal for Brazilian forward Ilan before the deadline passes. The player,
released from his contract at St Etienne, is at Upton Park for talks and to
complete a move to the Premier League,

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
McCarthy makes Hammers move
Striker ready to lift Zola's men away from danger zone
Last updated: 1st February 2010
SSN

Benni McCarthy has vowed to help new club West Ham maintain their Premier
League status after completing his transfer from Blackburn. The South Africa
striker, who has joined the Hammers for an undisclosed fee, is ready to put
the final days of his Ewood Park career behind him after falling out with
Rovers boss Sam Allardyce. McCarthy has scored four goals in 16 appearances
for Allardyce's side this term, but had fallen out of favour at Ewood Park
and made no secret of his desire to move on, going as far as to miss two
training sessions last week. McCarthy is now targeting a first-team spot
following his move after putting pen to paper on a two-and-a-half-year
contract. He told Sky Sports News: "Now I can just get back to playing and
getting a place in the team. I am also looking forward to getting to know my
new team-mates and help get the club out of a tough situation." The striker
also admitted he was excited by manager Gianfranco Zola's vision for the
future of the club. He added: "He has been great and has put my mind at ease
on the kind of football the team will play and what I can expect at the
club."
McCarthy also refused to criticise Blackburn boss Allardyce over the
increasingly limited role he played at the club in recent times. "I have no
complaints about Blackburn. They did not play the kind of football that I
wanted to play and so I couldn't play there," he said. "I never had a
disagreement with the manager. I have always been respectful and he has
always been up front with me. "I accepted his decision and it was clear that
I needed a move and if I had stayed they would not have had a happy player.
"I felt I served my time at Blackburn and I am sad that I never had the
chance to say thanks to the fans as they have been brilliant to me."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Middlesbrough Striker Mido Prepared To Play For £1,000-A-Week At West Ham
United
Hammers set to sign Egypt international...
By Danny Hart
Feb 1, 2010 3:33:00 PM

West Ham United co-owner David Sullivan has revealed Middlesbrough striker
Mido has offered to play for the club for just £1,000-a-week. The
26-year-old, who has been on loan at Egyptian side El Zamalek this season,
is keen to play in the Premier League again and is willing to take a
substantial pay cut to join the Hammers. Goal.com sources also understand
Mido is ready to waive £600,000 owed to him by the Egyptian club and has
asked for his papers to be rushed through for a last-minute deadline day
deal. Sullivan told The Sun: "It would be one of the most amazing deals of
all time. "He doesn't want to be known as a 'has been' of English football,
so he is willing to come here to play for a nominal fee, just £1,000-a-week.
"Mido is a rich boy, even though he is still only 26, and he told us he
doesn't need the money, but he wants to prove something in English football.
"He is a Middlesborough player who is on loan back in his home country
Egypt, but he desperate to show people here what he can do. We are hoping to
clinch this deal today."
West Ham have been desperate to sign a striker after injuries to Zavon Hines
and Carlton Cole have halted their compaign so far and a surprise move for
Mido could be on the cards if the Hammers can agree a fee with
Middlesbrough.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
EXCLUSIVE: West Ham in late bid to sign Nedum Onuoha on loan from Manchester
City
By Sportsmail Reporter
Last updated at 3:36 PM on 01st February 2010
Goal.com

West Ham United have made enquiries about signing England Under 21 defender
Nedum Onuoha on loan from Manchester City. The Hammers face a race against
time to wrap up the deal before Monday's 5pm transfer deadline. The Barclays
Premier League strugglers have spent much of the day trying to bring in
added firepower, signing Benni McCarthy from Blackburn for £2.5million and
holding talks with Mido, Mateja Kezman and Brazilian Araujo Ilan. But they
are also keen to tighten up a defence that has conceded 38 goals in 23
League games so far this season and they see Onuoha as the perfect addition.
The impressive 23-year-old has been tipped for full international honours,
but he has found it hard to get opportunities at Eastlands this season
following the summer arrivals of centre-backs Kolo Toure and Joleon Lescott.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Benni McCarthy seals £2.2m move from Blackburn to West Ham - and former
Spurs striker Mido could also arrive
Daily Mail
By Sportsmail Reporter
Last updated at 2:20 PM on 01st February 2010

West Ham have completed the £2.2million signing of Benni McCarthy from
Blackburn while talks are ongoing over a loan move for Mido. Hammers boss
Gianfranco Zola has boosted his attacking options with the capture of
McCarthy and the South African could be joined at Upton Park by former
Tottenham, and Wigan striker Mido. Mido is on loan at Zamalek and if Zola
fails to land the Middlesbrough striker he is likely to turn his attention
to St-Etienne's Ilan and PSG's Mateja Kezman. McCarthy, who could make his
debut against Burnley on Saturday after signing a contract until 2012, told
the Hammers' official website: 'I am very pleased and extremely happy. This
is a great club. 'The reason why I am happy that it has finally happened is
because about five years ago I had a disappointing experience when I thought
I was going to be a West Ham player until Porto pulled out and I had to go
back. 'I would have loved this to be my first Premier League club, I went to
Blackburn instead but West Ham kept on pursuing me and eventually I am here.
'I am looking forward to making up for lost time and I can't wait to make my
debut. The reception I have got from everyone at the club and the fans I
have already met in the street has been great. Everyone was optimistic and
gave me a really good feeling. 'It left me thinking "Wow, this is the club I
want to play for". Although I could have gone to other clubs, this was the
only one I wanted. Blackburn were very good to me and I had a wonderful time
there but now this is a new opportunity. This for me is fantastic and I
can't wait to play for the manager. 'They wanted me before, it didn't happen
but now the opportunity arises again and this time I am going to prove
myself. It is my destiny to be here. All I want to do is score goals for
West Ham and make the fans happy.'

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

http://vyperz.blogspot.com

No comments: