Thursday, July 9

Web Item - Kelvin Davis

Saints' Davis turns down Hammers
BBC.co.uk

Southampton goalkeeper Kelvin Davis has rejected the chance to move to West
Ham and has instead signed a new three-year deal with the club. The
32-year-old, who had been training with the Hammers, was persuaded to stay
after Swiss businessman Markus Liebherr completed his takeover on Wednesday.
"I had a decision to make and am delighted to be able to stay," Davis told
the club's website. "I always said that League One football doesn't scare
me."
West Ham boss Gianfranco Zola wanted Davis as understudy to England
international Robert Green, but he has instead opted for first-team football
at St Mary's, despite the Saints starting next season with a 10-point
penalty. "The decision for me was between the opportunity of first-team
football at Southampton or the chance to play Premier League football," said
Davis. "I have made my choice to stay at Southampton. "After speaking to
Gianfranco Zola and (goalkeeping coach) Ludek Miklosko at West Ham, they
were both very understanding of my position and I hold them both with the
utmost respect."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Kelvin Davis turns down West Ham to stick with Southampton
Goalkeeper snubs Premier League to stay in League One
Southampton give captain and player of the year new contract
guardian.co.uk, Thursday 9 July 2009 12.57 BST

Kelvin Davis has rejected a move to the Premier League with West Ham in
favour of signing a new three-year deal at Southampton. The 32-year-old
goalkeeper, who was out of contract at St Mary's, had been training with the
Hammers and was due to turn out in their pre-season friendly at Grays on
Sunday. But now the Swiss businessman Markus Liebherr has completed his
takeover of Saints, his first move was to persuade last season's player of
the year and captain to stay on the south coast. The Hammers manager,
Gianfranco Zola, wanted Davis as understudy to the England international
Robert Green at Upton Park, but he has instead opted for first-team football
with Saints - despite the fact they kick off next season in League One with
a 10-point penalty. "The decision for me was between the opportunity of
first-team football at Southampton or the chance to play Premier League
football and I have made my choice to stay at Southampton," he said. "After
speaking to Gianfranco Zola and [goalkeeping coach] Ludek Miklosko at West
Ham, they were both very understanding of my position and I hold them both
in the utmost respect. "I got the call yesterday and the new people at
Southampton were quick to offer me a new contract and were very clear in
what they want to achieve for the football club. I always said from the end
of last season that League One football does not scare me and I obviously
feel as responsible as anyone for the club's position."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Davis snubs Hammers offer
Keeper opts for regular football at Saints after signing new deal
By Richard Bailey Last updated: 9th July 2009
SSN

Kelvin Davis has rejected an approach from West Ham in favour of signing a
new three-year deal with Southampton. The out-of-contract goalkeeper was
expected to sign for the Hammers after spending the last few days training
with Gianfranco Zola's side. However as soon as Swiss businessman Markus
Liebherr completed his takeover of the South Coast club on Wednesday he made
sure he offered Davis, who was Saints' player of the year last term, a new
contract. To the delight of everyone at Southampton, the 32-year-old opted
for regular first-team football in League One over warming the bench as
understudy to Robert Green at Upton Park. "The decision for me was between
the opportunity of first-team football at Southampton or the chance to play
Premier League football and I have made my choice to stay at Southampton,"
he told the club's official website. "After speaking to Gianfranco Zola and
(goalkeeping coach) Ludek Miklosko at West Ham, they were both very
understanding of my position and I hold them both with the utmost respect."

The former Wimbledon shot-stopper revealed that the new owners outlined
their plans for the new season and that was enough to get him to extend his
stay at St Mary's.
"I got the call yesterday and the new people at Southampton were quick to
offer me a new contract and were very clear in what they want to achieve for
the football club," he added. "I always said from the end of last season
that League One football does not scare me and I obviously feel as
responsible as anyone for the club's position."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Kelvin Davis snubs move to West Ham
Evening Standard
09.07.09

Kelvin Davis has rejected a move to the Barclays Premier League with West
Ham and signed a new three-year deal at Southampton. The 32-year-old
goalkeeper, who was out of contract at St Mary's, had been training with the
Hammers and was due to turn out in their pre-season friendly at Grays on
Sunday. But now Swiss businessman Markus Liebherr has completed his takeover
of Saints, his first move was to persuade last season's player of the year
and captain to stay on the south coast. Hammers boss Gianfranco Zola wanted
Davis as understudy to England international Robert Green at Upton Park, but
he has instead opted for first-team football with Saints - despite the fact
they kick off next season in League One with a 10-point penalty. "The
decision for me was between the opportunity of first-team football at
Southampton or the chance to play Premier League football and I have made my
choice to stay at Southampton," he told www.saintsfc.co.uk. "After speaking
to Gianfranco Zola and (goalkeeping coach) Ludek Miklosko at West Ham, they
were both very understanding of my position and I hold them both with the
utmost respect. "I got the call yesterday and the new people at Southampton
were quick to offer me a new contract and were very clear in what they want
to achieve for the football club. "I always said from the end of last season
that League One football does not scare me and I obviously feel as
responsible as anyone for the club's position."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

http://vyperz.blogspot.com

No comments: