Thursday, April 23

Daily WHUFC News - Web Item - Steve Clarke

Clarke in talks over Hammers deal
BBC.co.uk

West Ham coach Steve Clarke says he is in no hurry to extend his contract,
despite the board's enthusiasm. Since Clarke and manager Gianfranco Zola
joined the club last September, they have kept the team in the race for a
place in Europe next season. "Already they're talking about extending so we
are doing something right," Clarke said.
"Discussions are on-going but it will be sorted when it's sorted. There's no
rush on my side or that of the club."
Zola has already spoken of his desire to sign a longer-term deal and build a
long-term project at Upton Park, on the proviso that Clarke and his backroom
team stay at the club. The pair enjoy legendary status at former club
Chelsea, who are West Ham's next opponents, and when manager Luis Felipe
Scolari was sacked by the Blues they were widely tipped to make a return.
But Clarke said although he has happy memories of his Chelsea days, that
chapter of his life was over. "I am enjoying my time here. I think it was a
strange move for a lot of people when I came but I feel justified in making
it," he said. "I had great times at Chelsea but it has gone, it is in the
past and I have to look forward. I am at West Ham now."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Hammers offer Clarke extension
Hammers offer contract extension to assistant Clarke
Last updated: 23rd April 2009
SSN

West Ham have approached assistant boss Steve Clarke about extending his
contract - but he is in no rush to sign. The former Chelsea number two
signed a three-year deal earlier in the season when he switched to Upton
Park as assistant to boss Gianfranco Zola. The pair have been linked with a
move back to Chelsea at the end of the season and the Hammers' decision to
offer the pair contract extensions is a clear indication of their desire to
head off any potential summer move. But Clarke, while flattered by the
extension offer, is in no hurry to sign. "I think Gianfranco is in
discussions with the club about extending his contract, the club have
approached me about the same," he said. "We have had good discussions but I
have only just arrived and already they are talking about extending so it
means we have done something right.
"Discussions are ongoing but it will be sorted when it is sorted. There is
no great rush to do anything. I signed here for almost three years and I
will have two years left come the summer, so there is no rush. There is no
rush on my side or the side of the club." He added he is enjoying his time
at Upton Park. "I think it was a strange move for a lot of people when I
came here but I feel justified in making the move," he said, adding he is
pleased with how the Hammers have done until now. "We would like to see the
job out and finish in seventh."
The Hammers entertain Chelsea on Saturday and asked if it was a good time to
be playing the Blues, he said: "They are in the middle of a difficult run of
matches, a lot of big games. I'm sure maybe they'll think about resting one
or two players against us at the weekend. "But it is only a great time to
play them if you beat them after the match. Before the game, I'm sure
they'll approach it, they won't want to lose, it's a big London derby. "It
will be a difficult, difficult game."
But he is hopeful of a result, saying: "We have been playing well recently
but we haven't beaten one of the big teams yet and it would be nice to start
at the weekend.
"It is just another game for me. It is three more points in the chase for a
place in Europe. "I had great times at Chelsea but it has gone, it is in the
past and I have to look forward. I am at West Ham now."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

http://vyperz.blogspot.com

Please donate to my run for charity
http://www.justgiving.com/peter-robinson
http://www.justgiving.com/peter-robinson1

Thank You so much to those who have already contributed

No comments: