Friday, September 5

Web Item - New Signing

Lopez becomes latest recruit - WHUFC
Uruguayan international Walter Lopez has become the latest new signing at
the Boleyn Ground
05.09.2008

West Ham United are delighted to announce the signing of Uruguay left-back
Walter Lopez on a one-year contract.

After deciding to leave River Plate in his homeland, the 22-year-old was a
free agent and had attracted the attention of leading clubs across Europe.
However, he agreed to sign for West Ham United after impressing in training
and a behind closed doors practice game against Queen's Park Rangers. Capped
three times by his country, Lopez is an attack-minded defender who can also
play further forward in a midfield role.

He has been given the No5 shirt and has already impressed caretaker manager
Kevin Keen in training. "Walter is a very attacking full-back who can get
forward," he said. "Like David Di Michele, he is another West Ham-type
player who will hopefully show everyone at the club what he can do." Lopez
could well compete with Herita Ilunga for a starting place, with the
Congolese defender due at the Boleyn Ground next week after international
duty.

Lopez, who hails from Montevideo and has also had spells in Spain and
Mexico, said: "I am really happy to be here and I hope to have a good
career. Upton Park is a beautiful stadium and it will be great to play for
West Ham. I am looking forward to it. It is a great club and there are some
great players at the club. I know about many of them like Lucas Neill and
Craig Bellamy. Everyone here has made me feel very welcome."

Although new to this country, Lopez is well aware what the English game is
all about. He said: "I watch the Premier League all the time on TV. It is
the No1 league in the world, the best and it is great to be a part of it. I
am very happy that I am here and I get to play for West Ham. The fans are
very passionate and I hope to show them what I can do." He added that he has
ambitions to establish himself as an international regular but "first my
priority is to show what I can do at West Ham. This is my team and where I
will play".

No comments: