Thursday, September 4

Daily WHUFC News - WHUFC Board V George McCartney

Statement on McCartney transfer - WHUFC
The club have clarified the situation surrounding George McCartney's move to
Sunderland
04.09.2008

West Ham United have responded to the claims made on Thursday by George
McCartney that he did not hand in a written transfer request.

Having previously declared their interest, Sunderland approached West Ham
United at the end of last week with a renewed offer to sign the player. Both
McCartney and his agent were made aware of this development. However, as was
demonstrated by the rejection of a previous bid and with the subsequent
agreement of a new five-year contract, West Ham United had no intention of
selling McCartney. Following this offer from Sunderland, McCartney handed in
a signed written transfer request on Monday 1 September which stated "due to
private, family reasons I wish to accept the offer to move back to
Sunderland AFC".
West Ham United are astonished by the claims made subsequently by the player
that there was no written request to leave with McCartney having also
repeatedly spoken of his desire to return to Sunderland to both the manager
and senior club officials. On Sunday 31 August, a senior club official wrote
to McCartney stating: "No one wants to sell. If you are happy to stay,
great, it ends here. I thought you were unhappy and wanted to go." The
player then restated his desire to leave before handing in the written
transfer request on Monday.
After the transfer was completed, McCartney spoke via whufc.com to confirm
the reasons behind his departure. He said: "I had two great seasons with
West Ham and I'd like to thank them for giving me the opportunity to play
for a club with the history they have and their fantastic supporters. But
for personal reasons alone, this is the right move for me. "My wife, Elaine,
didn't settle in London and Sunderland have offered me the chance to return
to the north-east, where I spent ten years after joining the club as a
youngster."

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
West Ham board upsets McCartney - BBC

George McCartney says the West Ham board went behind former manager Alan
Curbishley's back and covered up the reasons for his sale to Sunderland.
The sale of defenders McCartney and Anton Ferdinand to Sunderland is said to
have triggered Curbishley walking out of Upton Park on Wednesday.
"Curbishley's views were that Anton and I weren't going anywhere," McCartney
told BBC Radio 5 Live. "But the club went behind his back and accepted the
fees." Ferdinand was sold to Sunderland last Wednesday for £8m with
McCartney following him to the Stadium of Light for around £6m five days
later.
Curbishley then dramatically stood down as West Ham manager on Wednesday,
citing a lack of control over transfer policy. The former Charlton boss, who
had taken over from Alan Pardew in 2006, claimed decisions had been made
"without involving me".
And McCartney's revelations support Curbishley's view that the West Ham
board had overruled him. "What's gone on with Alan Curbishley is very
disappointing," McCartney told the BBC. "I was disappointed when he said
that mine and Anton's sales were the main reasons [for his departure] but I
understand fully that he wasn't getting the backing from the board or the
club. "Over those two years, he's taken the club forward, staved off
relegation and finished 10th last year - that was a great achievement. "But
the board had different feelings; they spent a lot of money and were
probably looking for more success. "He hasn't had any money to spend to
strengthen the team and those at the club are selling the players behind his
back. "I couldn't see why he was under so much pressure. He's a great guy
and I've never had any problems with him."
McCartney also rubbished West Ham's claim that his departure was triggered
when he handed in a written transfer. A club statement issued at the time of
Curbishley's departure said: "McCartney handed in a formal written transfer
request after failing to resolve his personal reasons for wanting a move
away."
However, the 27-year-old Northern Ireland international insisted he would
have been happy to stay at Upton Park. "Sunderland made a bid [for me] last
week but I know West Ham turned it down," explained McCartney. "I had a
meeting with the manager and said that my family were quite unsettled in
London so I was hoping to move back up north. "But the manager said no, in
no uncertain terms, I was staying at West Ham and the club wouldn't be
accepting any fees. "Then I got a call Sunday that the fee had been accepted
so I had to make my way up north. "I have seen on the West Ham website I
handed in a written transfer request. "I never did anything of the sort. It
was purely a family issue and I never handed in a written transfer request.
"The state that the club's in at the minute they are just trying to cover
their tracks with the supporters. "These are strange times at West Ham and
no-one really knows what is going on at boardroom level."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Club dispute McCartney claims - KUMB
Filed: Thursday, 4th September 2008
By: Staff Writer

West Ham United have reiterated that George McCartney DID hand in a transfer
request, after the defender accused the club of lying. McCartney, speaking
earlier this week had claimed that he had not submitted an official notice
declaring his wish to leave, stating: "I have seen on the West Ham website I
handed in a written transfer request. I never did anything of the sort.
Probably the board at West Ham are trying to cover their tracks."
However in a surprise statement released tonight the club said they were
'astonished' by McCartney's statement and wholly rejected the Irish
international's versions of events, accusing HIM of lying over the affair.
"Having previously declared their interest, Sunderland approached West Ham
United at the end of last week with a renewed offer to sign the player," it
read. "Both McCartney and his agent were made aware of this development.
"However, as was demonstrated by the rejection of a previous bid and with
the subsequent agreement of a new five-year contract, West Ham United had no
intention of selling McCartney. "Following this offer from Sunderland,
McCartney handed in a signed written transfer request on Monday 1 September
which stated 'due to private, family reasons I wish to accept the offer to
move back to Sunderland AFC'."
The club also gave details of what appeared to be an informal communication,
possibly by email, sent to McCartney last Sunday evening. "A senior club
official wrote to McCartney stating: 'No one wants to sell. If you are happy
to stay, great, it ends here. I thought you were unhappy and wanted to go.'
The player then restated his desire to leave before handing in the written
transfer request on Monday."
Regardless of who is telling the truth the whole affair casts yet another
shadow over West Ham United, who have been criticised by supporters, pundits
and the media alike for their summer transfer policy and the departure of
Alan Curbishley yesterday.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Liars - KUMB
Filed: Thursday, 4th September 2008
By: Staff Writer

George McCartney has refuted claims by the board of West Ham United that he
handed in a transfer request. McCartney was sold to Sunderland at the
weekend - despite having signed a new five-year deal with West Ham a month
earlier. West Ham, justifying their decision to part with last season's
Hammer of the Year runner-up claimed that McCartney had handed in a transfer
request.
But no so accoring to the Irish full-back - who told the BBC earlier today:
"I have seen on the West Ham website I handed in a written transfer request.
I never did anything of the sort. Probably the board at West Ham are trying
to cover their tracks. "I did propose that for family reasons I would like
to move back North. But the manager said 'no' I wasn't leaving and just to
concentrate on West Ham. "I was happy to stay. That was on the Friday and I
played my part in the Blackburn game on the Saturday. The thought of leaving
was finished as far as I was concerned but then something changed. I got on
an indication on Sunday that I could be on my way. "These are strange times
at West Ham and no-one really knows what is going on at boardroom level.
They have not been behind Alan Curbishley since the start of the season. It
was a difficult time for him - they did not trust him with any money to
spend. "I cannot understand how a manager can be under so much pressure. He
saved us from relegation and we finished 10th last year. This season has
been the club's best start for years. "I loved my time under Alan
Curbishley, got on well with him and never had any problems with him. West
Ham was the place to be and I loved my two years there."
Anton Ferdinand, the first player sold to Sunderland in the transfer window
also refuted West Ham United's version of events regarding his sale.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
McCartney unhappy with Hammers - SSN
Defender pays tribute to Curbishley
Last updated: 4th September 2008

George McCartney has defended Alan Curbishley and criticised the West Ham
board following his move to Sunderland. Curbishley resigned as manager at
Upton Park this week as he was dismayed by the club's transfer policy. The
sale of McCartney appeared to be the final straw for Curbishley and the
Northern Ireland international admits he would have been happy to stay.
McCartney helped West Ham defeat Blackburn on Saturday before sealing a
switch to the Stadium of Light 48 hours later. "I have seen on the West Ham
website I handed in a written transfer request," said McCartney. "I never
did anything of the sort. Probably the board at West Ham are trying to cover
their tracks. "I did propose that for family reasons I would like to move
back north. But the manager said 'no' I wasn't leaving and just to
concentrate on West Ham. "I was happy to stay. That was on the Friday and I
played my part in the Blackburn game on the Saturday. "The thought of
leaving was finished as far as I was concerned but then something changed. I
got on an indication on Sunday that I could be on my way. "These are strange
times at West Ham and no-one really knows what is going on at boardroom
level."

McCartney has paid tribute to Curbishley and slammed his bosses for piling
so much pressure on him. "They (the board) have not been behind Alan
Curbishley since the start of the season," explained the 27-year-old. "It
was a difficult time for him - they did not trust him with any money to
spend. "I cannot understand how a manager can be under so much pressure. He
saved us from relegation and we finished 10th last year. This season has
been the club's best start for years. "I loved my time under Alan
Curbishley, got on well with him and never had any problems with him. West
Ham was the place to be and I loved my two years there."

Despite being disappointed with the manner of his departure, McCartney is
looking forward to playing under Roy Keane at Sunderland. "Maybe I can help
get Sunderland to a higher level. Certainly that is the challenge and one I
am looking forward to," said the full-back. "Roy Keane did a good job
getting the team promoted and then establishing them in the Premier League.
"He asks for 100 per cent effort and commitment but that is not something I
am afraid of. I am looking forward to getting started."

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

http://vyperz.blogspot.com

No comments: